Wednesday 5 March 2008

SO SUE ME

OK I lied. I haven't blogged or written daily pages or filled notebooks with plots and characterisations since I last wrote here. I'm not a writer, because I give up too easily. I love it when I do it, I just don't do it enough. And anyway I'm now looking for a job, which will be interesting enough in itself, given that I haven't worked in an office for nearly 10 years. So the blog title becomes timely and I've decided to chronicle my attempts at finding gainful employment here.

So what are the odds of my finding a job? A headhunter I spoke to yesterday said 'Ferociously difficult.' Is that off-putting enough for you? Obviously I don't just want 'Anyjob', though a few months down the line I may regret putting that phrase into print. I'm in my early 50s and had a successful twenty year career in advertising which I gave up when we moved to the middle of nowhere and I chose to bring up my children. My brain remains intact, except when I can find my specs, which are then found on top of my head....Following the literary maxim of writing what you know, I'd like a job in advertising; I've done it once, I can do it again. But what do I know of advertising today? Well, by and large, it sucks as far as I can see. No one working in the industry is having as much fun as we used to and the ads are not better than the TV programmes they interrupt any more. But it's where I'm going to start. So my next work of fiction will be the CV......

2 comments:

Gatepost productions said...

You've got the job, start Monday.

Pick up the posters, the paste, and the labourer from the office... all you have to do is advise us where you think he should stick them!

John S

Drags said...

LOL John, can I tell you how tempting that is?? I'm quite good with my hands actually.....